Best Printers That Print Checks (Home & Office Use)
If you are a business or an entrepreneur, you probably need a lot of checks to deal with your clients or employees. It is not always feasible to have checkbooks at your disposal at all times.
Not many people are aware of this, but you can print legal checks at your home and offices using a printer that supports MICR ink or toner. All you need to know are the dimensions of a blank check and a printer whose print size you can manipulate.
In addition to that, you can download check printing software to ensure that your checks are of proper size and have appropriate detailing. Using printers that print checks, you can print and use as many checks as you want.
In this article, I have listed the five best printer for printing checks. The list includes printers for all purposes and belongs to a different price point to cater to a broader audience.
Best Printers That Print Checks
1. MICR Toner International Laser M404n Check Printing Bundle
- HP M404n Laser Printer with 1 Genuine Modified OEM MICR Toner Starter Cartridge
- Starter MICR Cartridge (1,500 Page Yield) Manufactured by Expert MICR Technicians with Our Superior Magnetic Toner for Guaranteed Bank Acceptance
- Included: A MICR Toner Cartridge Is Preloaded In Printer for Your Convenience
- Please Note: Check Printing Software and MICR Fonts Sold Separately
- 6 Month Warranty for Printer; Lifetime Warranty for MICR Toner Cartridge
The MICR Toner International Laser M404n is a wired check printer from HP. This is basically the HP LaserJet Pro M404 printer bundled with the MTI MICR cartridges.
The printer comes with an original modified OEM MICR Toner cartridge that offers around fifteen hundred pages worth toner. It allows you to print three checks on a single sheet of paper, and thus, with the default cartridge, you can print nearly forty-five hundred checks.
The cartridge comes installed on the printer, so you do not have to do much work to get the printer going. The cartridge is designed by highly trained professionals with high-quality toner. Every check that it prints gets readily accepted in any bank.
This printer offers a high print speed of about forty pages per minute, impressive. Such a printing rate is ideal for printing, even on a large scale. You can use it daily, and the printer will not disappoint you.
The input capacity of the printer is about three hundred and fifty pages. At the same time, the maximum output is capped at one hundred and fifty sheets. Sadly, this printer does not feature an Automatic Document Feeder.
The quality of the print is excellent. This printer provides bank-ready checks, even under continuous usage. However, it might give a slight problem when the toner levels are low.
This printer is certainly not the best in terms of portability, but good enough. The printer weighs twenty-two pounds and has a little bulky architecture. It could have had a lesser weight and smaller dimensions for a check printer, but that should not be a deal-breaker for some people.
HP offers six months warranty period on the printer, while the MICR toner cartridge comes with a lifetime warranty. HP could have provided a year-long warranty period. The customer support is excellent and responsive. Customers are usually satisfied by the after-sales services.
HP provides a Power cord, printer, and the cartridge pre-installed on the printer in the box. Sadly, there is no USB Cable, check printing software, and MICR fonts included in the bundle. One must purchase them separately, which might be a hectic task for some users.
If you are looking for a professional check printer, this is one of the best printer for printing checks. It is ideal for a large-scale business where one needs to print checks frequently and in large quantities.
- Lifetime warranty on the toner cartridge.
- Excellent print quality.
- Provides good value for money.
- A suitable capacity cartridge is included in the box.
- This printer is a little bulky.
- No USB cable or check printing software is included in the package.
- This printer does not have ADF.
2. Renewable Toner ImageCLASS LBP6030W MICR Check Printer Bundle
- 【IN THE BOX】1 Canon ImageCLASS LBP6030W Printer and 1 RT 125 3484B001AAb MICR Cartridge
- 【HIGH QUALITY】1 RT 125 3484B001AA MICR Toner Cartridge with high quality magnetic toner for guaranteed bank acceptance.
- 【YIELD】1.6k standard pages; prints 4.8k checks @ 3 per page
- 【NOT INCLUDED】Check printing software and MICR fonts sold separately
- ✅ WARRANTY. 6 month warranty for printer; Lifetime Warranty for MICR Cartridge. We always honor our warranties; contact us if the Amazon return window has closed
Next on the list of the best printer for printing checks is the ImageCLASS LBP6030W Check Printer bundle. It is a combo offered by Canon. This is a Canon ImageCLASS LBP6030W printer bundled with a compatible MICR cartridge.
In this package, the seller provides the printer along with 125 3484B001AA MICR Toner Cartridge that comes pre-installed out of the box. Thus, setting up this printer is pretty straightforward.
The cartridge has a capacity of printing around sixteen hundred sheets when complete. This means that you can print approximately five thousand checks in a single cartridge that comes included in the bundle. Thanks to the easy-to-understand user guide provided in the box, changing a toner cartridge is also easy on this printer.
The rate of printing on this printer is a little disappointing. It prints just at a speed of around ten to twelve pages per minute, which is insanely slow, even for an inkjet printer.
This printer is a compact and lightweight machine. It is a boon as well as a bane. Though its compact nature provides portability, it reduces the sheet holding capacity of this printer significantly.
It can hold only one hundred and fifty sheets, which may be fine if you need to print checks seldom. Being compact is also why this printer does not include an Auto-document feeder.
The advantages of this printer are its wireless capabilities and its print quality. It can produce bank-accepted checks consistently, albeit at a slower speed. The cost of printing is also decent on this printer. It is not too high but not amongst the least either. You can purchase this if you need printers that print checks but are in no hurry and your printing frequency is not too high.
The cost at which it is available is also attractive. It makes this printer one of the best printer for printing checks on a tight budget.
- The printing quality is good.
- It is cost-effective.
- Provides good value for money.
- It is portable because of its form factor.
- Printing speed is awful.
- Replacing ink can be expensive.
- The paper holding tray is too small.
3. Canon imageCLASS LBP6230dw
- Connectivity technology: Wi-Fi (WPS router or USB cable needed to set up); Ethernet; USB
- Print up to 26 pages per minute
- Space-saving, compact design conforms to personal or home office environments
- 250-Sheet maximum paper capacity
- All in one single cartridge system combines the toner and drum into one unit, making cartridge replacement simple
- Easily Print from a mobile device with the free Canon mobile printing app
- Compatibility OS : Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Linux, Citrix (FR2 and later)
- Form factor: Print only, Paper size: 8.5 inch x 14
Canon’s imageCLASS LBP6230dw is a wireless monochrome laser printer. It is a constant on any list of the best printer for printing checks.
This is a tiny printer intended for home offices. It has a big sheet capacity of around 250 sheets. This printer supports auto-duplexing, which is a utility feature. It is also compatible with the MICR toner, thus, making it a printer that prints checks.
This printer accepts both plain and picture paper. You may manually change the size of the print. The speed at which this printer print is its most notable attribute. On ordinary paper, the print speed is twenty-six sheets per minute.
The print quality is excellent. Because it is a laser printer, the quality is superior to inkjet printers at the same price. The blacks are intense and have a lot of depth.
The checks printed out from this printer are readily accepted at all places. Because it is a monochrome printer, it does not print in color, but if you are looking for printers that print checks, you probably do not need color printouts.
This printer has a lot of connecting options. It is WiFi 5.0, USB cable, and Ethernet compatible. Because it allows mobile printing on the move, you may print immediately from your smartphone.
Sadly, this printer has no automatic document feeder because of its compact form factor. Also, its design feels a bit outdated because it is an old printer. Yet, at its price point, the Canon imageCLASS LBP6230dw is one of the best printer for printing checks.
- Print quality is excellent.
- The sheet holding tray is big.
- The printing speed is high.
- It is a superb cheap check printer.
- There is no ADF support.
- The design and technology may feel a bit outdated.
- It may falter under a heavy workload.
4. Epson EcoTank ET-2720 Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer
- Your family needs a printer that’s fast, affordable, and easy to use. That’s why we developed the EcoTank ET-2720 – an innovative cartridge-free solution that uses high-capacity, easily refillable ink tanks. So you’ll worry less about running out of ink, and save a lot on replacement ink1. The ET-2720 features genuine Epson print quality, a high-resolution flatbed scanner, and convenient color display – making it the ideal basic home printer.
- Innovative Cartridge-Free Printing ― High-capacity ink tanks mean no more tiny, expensive ink cartridges; Epson’s exclusive EcoFit ink bottles make filling easy and worry-free
- Zero Cartridge Waste – By using an EcoTank printer, you can help reduce the amount of cartridge waste ending up in landfills
- Built-in Scanner & Copier ― High-resolution flatbed scanner and a color display for easy document copying and navigation
Next on our list of the best printer for printing checks is the Epson EcoTank ET-2720 all-in-one Supertank printer. It is a wireless printer with the ability to print, copy, and scan.
It is a quick, simple, and inexpensive printer with many features. Rather than using typical ink cartridges, this printer employs conveniently refilled ink tanks. This provides low-cost printing and alleviates the stress of often reloading the ink. In addition, Epson includes two years of ink in the box. Also, it is compatible with MICR ink, making it one of the cheap check printers.
This printer produces outstanding print quality. The checks made look authentic with no streaks and spots. Printing other than checks is also of supreme quality.
Because of Epson EcoTank technology, printing costs roughly one cent each black and white page and about twenty cents for every colorful sheet. The down point of this printer is its printing speed. The EcoTank ET-2720 has a maximum printing speed of roughly ten pages per minute.
When it comes to networking, this printer provides a plethora of alternatives. It is compatible with Windows, Android, macOS, and Chrome OS. It works with practically all smart devices via the Epson Smart Panel Application.
It also includes built-in hands-free, voice-activated printing and is compatible with Alexa devices. It also supports WiFi 5.0, Ethernet, and a USB cable.
Overall, it is one of the best printer for printing checks, even if you want to print a large number of checks. It handles a large workload effectively while preserving print quality.
- The cost of printing is extremely low on this printer.
- The print quality is excellent.
- It is an easy-to-use printer.
- It delivers consistent results under a heavy workload.
- The printing speed is too slow.
- The sheet holding capacity is tiny.
- This printer has an issue with saving passwords.
5. Brother Inkjet Printer MFC-J5845DW, INKvestment Color Inkjet All-in-One Printer
- UP TO ONE YEAR OF INK IN BOX: The Brother MFCJ5845DW Investment Tank color inkjet all in one printer provides up to one year of ink
- REVOLUTIONARY INKVESTMENT TANK INK SYSTEM: Brother re engineered its ink cartridges to hold more ink and created an internal ink storage tank
- PRINT WITH CONFIDENCE USING PAGE GAUGE: Help take the guesswork out of when to replace ink by using the intelligent Brother Page Gauge
- FOR USE WITH BROTHER GENUINE INKS: LC30373PKS, LC3037BK, LC3037C, LC3037M, LC3037Y, LC3039BK, LC3039C, LC3039M, LC3039Y.
The last printer on this list of the best printer for printing checks is Brother’s MFC-J5845DW INKvestment printer. It is a wireless, all-in-one printer based on inkjet technology.
This printer is compatible with regular ink as well as MICR inks. The printer contains up to one year worth of standard ink in the box. You can replace that ink with the MICR ink of your choice if you need printers that print checks.
The quality of print provided by this printer is excellent. This printer can print bank-ready checks of supreme quality and durable print. When printing using regular ink, the printouts look natural and vibrant. The printing speed is nearly twenty sheets per minute, which is excellent for an inkjet printer.
This printer comes with Brother’s INKvestment Tank technology. This creates a super tank inside the printer that lasts longer and prints at lower prices as compared to regular tiny ink cartridges. It also provides a Page Gauge option that lets you know when to replenish the ink.
The MFC-J5845DW is not a compact machine. So if you are looking for a portable printer, this might not be the best printer for printing checks. On the other hand, being bulky, this printer provides you with a large sheet holding tray of about two hundred and fifty sheets.
This printer also includes a large built-in automatic document feeder with a capacity of around fifty sheets, and it supports duplex printing. It also supports printing on 11 x 17 size paper.
Overall, suppose you need to print a lot of checks on a regular basis, and the printer’s portability is not a huge concern. In that case, this might be the best check printer for you. It performs well under a heavy workload and reduces human effort because of its auto-duplexing and ADF capabilities.
- This printer includes auto-duplex and ADF.
- Prints at a fast speed.
- Justifies its price.
- It provides excellent print quality.
- Portability is an issue as it is a bulky printer.
- Users have a complaint that the tech support is not responsive.
Things to consider before buying printers that print checks
Price is the foremost factor to consider whenever you buy anything, and the best check printer should be able to justify its price. If you purchase an expensive printer, it should provide you with features like wireless connectivity, mobile printing, and free ink included in the package, along with excellent print quality and a high printing speed.
If you decide on a cheap check printer, you should still get the basic features with correct functionality.
Compatibility with MICR ink
If you are looking for the best check printer, compatibility with magnetic ink is essential. MICR stands for Magnetic Ink Character Recognition, and no check is legal without the MICR strip. Your printer must be compatible with the MICR ink or toner, without which, it will be useless if you want printers that print checks.
Proper tech support and after-sales services are a must for any printer because printers can be tough to handle at times. The best check printer must come with responsive customer service because handling MICR printing might sometimes get tricky. They should be ready to help with printing checks because this is not something users generally do with printers.
If you are looking for the best check printer, you probably run a business or an enterprise. You want a printer that can print practically anytime. So connectivity options matter. If you purchase a wireless printer, it gives you the luxury to print from anywhere.
In my opinion, the MICR Toner International Laser M404n Check Printing Bundle is the best check printer bundle. It suites everyone’s needs and is ideal for small businesses and enterprises.
Though it is not too portable, one does not need to move their printer often. With the Ethernet option available, it can be connected to WiFi as well. The advantages of this printer include stunning print quality and breakneck printing speed.
The HP LaserJet Pro M404 works well under a heavy workload and has a large sheet tray. It justifies its price with its features and print quality. It is undoubtedly the best printers that print checks.