How to Fix “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” Error: We all must be aware of the IP address, which is responsible for the identification of a device on a network. It helps devices to communicate with each other over the internet. An IP address can be considered as a home address which can be identified by others.
Every device we carry has that home address. IP addresses are categorized in private, public, static, and dynamic. Additionally, there are two more IP addresses, which are IPv4 and IPv6.
If you are receiving an error message while trying to connect to the internet, that says, “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” then it means your windows operating system is failing to receive the required IP address from the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).
DHCP is responsible for a server to automatically assign an IP address to your computer for a specific network. When this automatic assigning of IP address to your computer fails, “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” error occurs, due to which you cannot access your internet without resolving this problem.
Though it is also a possibility that if you are getting “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” error, it means something is wrong with your Network Interface Card.
Network Interface Card is connected to your router or modem via the Ethernet Cable. When NIC fails to get a valid IP address, the error occurs. A valid IP address is required to access the internet.
That’s why today, we have gathered some useful information on “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” error. If you are facing this problem, and you want to know more about this error in detail, and also want to find out how to solve this problem, then follow this article to find out more.
When does “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration Error” Occurs?
There are many reasons why this error occurs in your device, though we discussed them earlier, here, we are going to discuss when this error occurs. Go through this whole list to understand more about this error, and find out about more about when this occurs on your system:
- Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration TP-Link, Netgear: This error is reported by many users while using TP-Link, Netgear devices. This error affects almost any kind of network hardware.
- Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration Powerline: Powerline is considered to be one of the simplest ways to set up a network, but many users of powerline have faced this issue.
- Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration router: If the router you are using is not properly configured, then “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” error occurs. It can be fixed by adjusting your router’s configuration.
- Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration Unidentified Network: When an unidentified network is connected in your device, this error can occur, but it can be fixed using standard solutions.
- Ethernet doesn’t have a valid config: This message occurs when there are problems with your network configuration in your device. This can also be fixed by using some standard solutions.
- Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP address: This usually occurs when there is an IP address conflict in your PC. This can be resolved in a few steps, which we will discuss later in this article.
- Ethernet doesn’t work: Sometimes, there are cases in which, your Ethernet doesn’t work. It is been reported many times by users that their Wi-Fi is working perfectly fine, but their Ethernet is not working properly.
- Ethernet doesn’t work on a laptop: Just like your PC, the same can happen with you on your laptop. Your Wi-Fi might work fine, but you will face issues with your Ethernet connection. But, this can be fixed easily by following some simple steps.
- Ethernet doesn’t have IP configuration: This is a very rare case, but this can be a pain. In this, the IP configuration goes completely missing. To fix this error, you will have to configure the IP in your device manually.
- Ethernet doesn’t connect to the internet: The inability to connect to the internet is often reported by users while they can access their internet by using wireless sources like Wi-Fi.
Methods to Fix “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” Error
We have talked about all the possibilities why this error occurs, and now we are going to discuss all the best methods to fix this error. So without any further delay, let’s jump right into it.
Method 1: Reboot the system
Sometimes the error, “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” occurs due to the Fast Startup feature. To fix this, follow the steps given below:
- Go to the windows search panel by clicking Windows Key + S and search for Control panel. Now, select the Control Panel from the options on your screen.
- Select the Power Options from the control panel being displayed on your screen.
- Select Choose what the power button does from the left pane of the window.
- Then, select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck the box displayed beside the option Turn on fast startup (recommended).
- Now, select Save Changes displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Restart your PC your changes will be saved.
Method 2: Check the Network Adapter Settings
Normally, the router designates the IP address automatically, but when the error occurs, you can do it by yourself by using these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and search for
- In the Network Connections Windows, right-click on the Ethernet option and select Properties.
- Now, select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- Now, a new window will open on your screen, enable these options there:
- Obtain an IP Address Automatically
- Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically
Method 3: Reboot your Router and check Ethernet cable
If you have tried all the steps explained earlier and still facing the issue, you might want to restart your router or check your Ethernet cable. Sometimes, it’s not your PC but your router or Ethernet cable itself.
After turning off your router, leave it for 5 minutes and then switch it back on. If it still does not work, consider changing your router or try using any other Ethernet cable.
Even after changing your router or Ethernet cable, if you are facing the same issue then there is an issue with your network card. To fix this, perform a factory data reset to your Network Card. If you are still facing the issue, then you need to replace the Network Card.
Method 4: Reinstall your Network Adapter
If you are still facing this issue after completing all the methods discussed earlier, then you might need to reinstall your network adapter. Follow these steps to reinstall your Network Adaptor:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box.
hdwwiz.cplin the space and click on the OK button displayed below.
- Expand the Network Adapters option by clicking on it, and then right-click on your Ethernet.
- Choose the Uninstall device option displayed on your screen.
- Choose the Uninstall option when the confirmation dialog box appears.
- Now, reinstall the Network Adapter using the Driver accompanying the hardware.
So far, we discussed why “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” error occurs, and then, we talked about when does this error generally or rarely occurs. Then we talked about all the best and possible methods to get through this error, those methods are:
- Reboot the system.
- Check the Network Adapter Settings.
- Reboot your Router and check Ethernet cable.
- Reinstall your Network Adapter.
So, that’s it from us on “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” error.